40 more Vande Bharat Express trains will be produced till March 2022, according to a senior railway official. No more Vande Bharat Express rakes will be manufactured this fiscal year, Railway Board chairman V.K. Yadav said on Monday.
- The railways delayed production of the third rake due to excessive energy consumption by the indigenous train, he added.
- He, however, said the issues with the train have been addressed and 40 more such trains will be produced till March 2022.
- Earlier this year, the production of these self-propelled engine-less train sets was stopped at the Integral Coach Factory in Chennai over allegations of favouritism and lack of transparency.
- Bidding under the new specifications will begin by October 31, he said.
- He said,“The energy consumption of the train was much more than the world standards. We realised that when we do mass production, we cannot have such high energy consumption. So we decided to review the specifications through RDSO so that they become energy efficient.”
- He said,”We will not be able to make any more Vande Bharat Express in 2019-20, but will produce 15 between 2020 and 2021, and 25 in 2021-2022.”
- The ICF, which manufactured the first two Vande Bharat Express rakes, scrapped all tenders in June for the third rake amid the controversy.
- On July 2, railway minister Piyush Goyal met representatives of manufacturers and promised a transparent level-playing field to all of them.
- Another railway official was quoted saying that the Indian Railways agreed to give reasonable time for submission of bids on the basis of the feedback received by the industry.