To ensure hassle-free commuting, the National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC) said all three Rapid Rail Transit System (RRTS) corridors will be interoperable. Commuters will be able to travel from one corridor to another without changing the train, an official of the NCRTC said.
- The NCRTC is the implementing agency for the RRTS project in Delhi-NCR.
- The three corridors of phase-1 — Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut, Delhi-Panipat and Delhi-Gurugram-SNB (Shahjahanpur-Neemrana-Behror Urban Complex) will be converging at Sarai Kale Khan RRTS station in Delhi, according to the NCRTC.
- For instance if a commuter boards an RRTS train from Rajiv Chowk station of Delhi-SNB corridor and wish to travel to Ghaziabad RRTS station of the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut corridor, the commuter can directly reach Ghaziabad RRTS station without changing the train.
- The official said that the NCRTC will adopt European Rail Traffic Management System (ERTMS) Level-2 to implement interoperability in the RRTS system.
- He said,”This will be the first time in India that ERTMS level 2 signalling system will be used for a commuter train operating at a speed of 160 kmph.”
- Interoperability of the three RRTS corridors will provide a hassle-free, comfortable and seamless travel experience to the commuters.
- The official added, it will motivate them to leave their private vehicles and switch to RRTS.