Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) has successfully commissioned Phase-1 of the Real-Time Train Information System (RTIS), which provides real-time train information to the Indian Railways, thereby increasing its operational efficiency, in addition to enhancing passenger safety, said the company.
- It said, “The system has been commissioned through the centre for railway information system, under the technical guidance of the space applications centre of the state-run Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).”
- The system provides real-time positional information of locomotives to the railways.
- It facilitates automatic acquisition of train movement data, including arrival, departure and run-through timings at all stations en route.
- The control chart of trains, which has the system-enabled locomotives, gets plotted automatically in the control office application system of the railways.
- The train controllers can, without manual intervention, accurately track the location and speed of the system-enabled locomotives/trains.
- The system not only facilitates smooth control of trains, but also optimises traffic management, improves operational efficiency and prevents accidents.
- The RTIS project involved installation of Locomotive Device, which tracks the location of trains using S-Band Mobile Satellite Service (S-MSS) of ISRO’s GSAT 6 satellite as well as 4G/3G mobile data service, setting up of MSS Hub and Data Centre with hardware and application software at the Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS), Chanakyapuri in New Delhi.
- The technology of the locomotive device has been indigenously developed.
- The application software, including the hub network monitoring system was developed in-house.
- The system is an example of ‘Make In India’ as it has been designed, developed and manufactured in the country.