New Delhi: In a major technological leap towards modernisation of Indian Railways‘ existing fleet of conventional DC Traction Motor driven Electric Locomotives, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) has successfully developed a Regenerative System for retro-fitment in these locos to make them energy efficient.
BHEL is the first to develop such a system for these locomotives. The system has the unique feature of utilising the kinetic energy of the train while in braking mode, which is re-converted into electrical energy and is fed back to the electric grid through OHE lines.
India’s First Regenerative 5000 HP (WAG-7) Electric locomotive flagged-off from BHEL Jhansi on 08-Feb-2019
Earlier this energy was getting wasted in Dynamic Braking Resisters (DBRs) of locomotives in the form of heat.
A pioneer in the transportation sector, BHEL has been working very closely with Indian Railways for the last six decades to meet their requirement of electric propulsion equipment for rolling stock and mainline electric locomotives.
BHEL has already supplied 20 nos. 6000 HP WAG-9H Electric Locomotives last year and 10 more locomotives will be supplied this year. The company has augmented its capability to manufacture and supply around 100 locomotives per annum.
BHEL is fully geared up to cater to the growing needs of Indian Railways by offering solutions with latest technological advancements. BHEL has created a dedicated center for research and development in transportation technology and manufacturing facilities at its Bhopal, Jhansi and Bengaluru plants.
BHEL has embarked upon a transformation journey for ‘Creating a BHEL of tomorrow’ and is pursuing various diversification initiatives for increasing non-coal business.
It is extending its offering in the transportation segment and has equipped itself to foray into manufacturing of metro coaches, rolling stock for high speed railway, Railway electrification and environmental friendly & energy efficient rolling stock for Indian Railways.
BHEL books highest ever orders in Transportation Business
Date : May 30, 2019
As a result of strategic initiatives taken, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) has registered quantum growth in its profitability and entered several new business areas in fiscal 2018-19, ending the year with significant traction in growth drivers.
The continued commitment and efforts to deliver on its purpose – to help in building a New BHEL, and a New India, have resulted in the company continuing on the path of improved performance.
Growth in Transportation Sector :
- Prudent strategies of garnering business in a shrunken and highly competitive business environment coupled with thrust on diversification, have resulted in several breakthroughs.
- During the year, the company booked the highest-ever orders in its transportation business segment and spares and services .
- Developed in-house India’s first state-of-the-art regenerative braking system for 5000 HP WAG-7 electric locomotive and delivered BHEL’s first 6,000 HP electric locomotive to Indian Railways.
- BHEL also received its maiden order for track electrification of rail route of 440 track km.
- The company made forays into the floating solar power business with the first commercial scale order of 5 MW at Sagardighi, and the Electric Vehicle (EV) market with maiden order for installation of Solar-based EV Chargers along the Delhi-Chandigarh highway.
- In addition, the company has entered other new segments like lake purification, municipal water segment, PV plants with Battery storage, etc.
Excerpts taken from BHEL Press Release