Metro Rail in Bhopal will be called ‘Bhoj Metro’, announced Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath. He said this while laying the foundation stone of Metro Rail in State capital on Thursday. The Metro project will be called ‘Bhoj Metro’, named after city’s legendary ruler Raja Bhoj, he said.
- The CM performed the bhumi pujan of the project near Gayatri Mandir on Hoshangabad Road.
- The total length of the metro rail would be around 27.87 kilometre on two corridors.
- First corridor will be from AIIMS to Karond and will cover a distance of 14.94 km, while the second corridor will start from Bhadbhada to Ratnagiri, and will cover a distance of 12.88 km.
- Metro corridors will have multi-modal integration with railway and Bus Rapid Transit System stations and feeder network of buses, intermediate public transport and non-motorised transport.
- The total cost is estimated to be Rs 6941.40 crore.
- The project has 28 stations including a 1.79 km long underground section with two stations.
- The first phase of the project is expected to be completed by December 2022.
- A SPV namely Madhya Pradesh Metro Rail Co Ltd. (MPMRCL) has been constituted for implementation of the Project.