The Chandigarh railway station is set to get an airport-like makeover at a cost of around Rs 135 crore. The railway station will get two “end blocks”, which will be constructed on both the Chandigarh and Panchkula side as part of the redevelopment project. These two blocks will be connected by an airspace concourse.
- An official said,”We want to completely change the experience at the railway station. It should feel like walking into an airport or a mall.”
- For passengers deboarding at the station, two subways will be constructed to enable a separate exit.
- The Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation (IRSDC) is the Nodal Agency and main Project Development Agency for the redevelopment of Railway Stations.
- The development of parking lots on both the Chandigarh and Panchkula side, construction of roads and landscaping will also lie under the purview of the IRSDC.
- An IRSDC official said,”We have floated a tender for the project and the bid will be finalised by December. So far, three parties have shown interest.”
- The project will be funded by a loan from the Indian Railway Finance Corporation (IRFC).
- In February this year, the IRSDC had taken over the Chandigarh railway station.
- There is a plan to integrate the surrounding areas with the railway station.
- An official said, we want to monetise railway land and make it commercially viable.
- The official said,”We are looking at mixed-used development of the land. Normally malls, offices spaces, hotels and even studio-apartments or affordable housing models do well in such places.”
- “To make it commercially viable, we will also construct a road connecting Chandigarh and Panchkula. Earlier, you had to go through the Housing Board Chowk and turn right to reach Panchkula. Now, there will be direct connectivity,” said the official.