Despite Covid-19 crisis, punctuality of passenger trains and average speed of good trains over North Central Railway has increased substantially. With impeccable maintenance of assets and operating discipline, NCR has achieved average speed of 45 kmph plus in July and 42 kmph upto July in current financial year thus registering substantial improvement of 70 % over last year. In terms of volume NCR has loaded 38.2 Lakhs tonnes freight so far and has earned freight revenue of Rs 437.55 crores.
- Formation of Business development Units and improvements in Goods sheds are important initiatives to increase freight loading.
- North Central Railway is now working on mission average speed of 50 kmph of goods train on a sustained basis.
- Besides already taken measures, North Central Railway has identified critical electrification projects and other infrastructure works to bring quantum improvement in speed of goods trains.
- Identified electrification of missing links to bring efficiency in train operations on North Central Railway includes:
- 126.66 kms between Bhandai and Etawah
- 115.51 kms between Birla Nagar to Etawah
- 386 kms between Mahoba to Udaipura via Khajuraho
- 106.29 kms between Shikohabadand Farrukhabad
- In adjoining Railways critical electrification works are Bandikui to Jaipur on NWR, Guna to Gwalior on WCR, Unnao to Dalmau & Unnao to Balamauon NR and Aunrihar to Bhatnion NER.
- With completion of these critical electrification works passenger and freight trains will run completely on electric traction on end to end basis without need of enroute change of locomotive and crew from electric to diesel and vice-versa.
- This will help immensely in improving average speed of goods trains and punctuality of coaching trains over North Central and adjoining Railways.
- Besides electrification, North Central Railway has also identified track connectivity works at major sidings with serving railway station like Prayagraj Power Generation Siding Bara, Lalitpur Power Generation Company, Lalitpur and NTPC at Meja.
- Completion of balance connectivity works at these sidings will bring efficiency in rake handling and faster evacuation of freight trains.
- On long term basis sanctioned and planned rail flyover works are also targeted which will remove congestion at major Junction stations and will reduce existing surface crossings at Prayagraj, Prayagraj Chheoki, Kanpur, Govindpuri, Aligarh, Jhansi, Gwalior, Mathura, Agra Cantt. etc. to a large extent for faster clearance of trains.
Source: North Central Railway-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): South Central Railway