CRRC Corporation has been awarded the contract to supply 216 Metro Coaches for Phase-2 of Bangalore Metro Rail project. CRRC’s subsidiary, CRRC Nanjing Puzhen Co Ltd, received the contract worth Rs 854.9 crore for the supply of 216 coaches for Metro’s Phase-2 project.
- Of the total 216 coaches, 126 (DTG signalling) will be used for the existing phase-I extension line, and 90 (CBTC signalling) will be used for new lines.
- The vehicles will have stainless steel body.
- The 216 coaches include 126 coaches (21 six-car trains) for Purple and Green Lines and remaining 90 coaches (15 six-car trains) for Yellow Line (R V Road-Bommasandra).
- A senior BMRCL official said that these coaches are mainly needed in Whitefield and BIEC corridors on Purple and Green Lines.
- CBTC equipped Yellow line’s automation systems will meet GOA4 standards enabling trains to operate without drivers with better frequency.
- CRRC has committed to manufacture 34 (204 coaches) out of 36 (216 coaches) trains in India.
- The awarded cost is almost Rs 235 crore less than that of L2 (second lowest tender) cost.
- The supply of coaches will start in the third quarter of 2021.
- The first train will be delivered in 87 weeks (DTG signalling) and 95 weeks (CBTC signalling).
- All vehicle deliveries will be completed in 173 weeks, and final commissioning in 205 weeks with operational conditions.