The Madhya Pradesh (MP) government on Tuesday said its plans to operate intrastate rapid rail, faster than Metro trains, and Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has been asked to carry out a feasibility study. The plan was to run rapid rail between Indore-Ujjain, Indore-Pithampur and Indore-Dewas, said Mr. Jaivardhan Singh, Urban Development Minister, MP.
- He said,”We have asked DMRC to study its feasibility.”
- Mr. Singh said,”We are going to plan a metropolitan area involving Bhopal and Indore as both cities are expanding rapidly. It is important areas around these two major cities are developed into satellite townships.”
- The draft for this plan has been charted out and final talks were underway with the rural development department since some of the areas are rural pockets, he said.
- 350 electric buses would be run after phasing out diesel ones in a phased manner in the state, the minister said.
- 40 electric buses have been introduced in Indore, and they would also be run in Bhopal, Gwalior and Ujjain.
- The first tranche of metro rail funds for the state has been sanctioned and would be received by next month, he informed.