Electrification of the Konkan Railway Corporation Limited’s (KRCL) route would be completed within a year, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal said on Dec 27, 2019. It will help curb pollution as diesel engines would not be used on the line, he said in Margao, Goa.
- He said,”The state government is working towards making Goa a pollution-free state. Railways will contribute in its own way by electrifying the KRCL line.”
- He added, diesel-run trains would not run on the route then.
- In near future newer areas in Goa would be connected by railway line, the minister said.
- He said, more ‘quality trains’ to Goa would be started for tourists’ benefit.
- He added, “Tourists and other travelers can enjoy the beauty of Goa while they travel by train. We are also introducing more vista-dome coaches (coaches with glass dome on the top) on the route.”
- The KRCL manages the railway line between Roha in Maharashtra and Thokur in Karnataka, covering a distance of 743 km.