Kolkata: The first phase of East-West Metro is likely to be functional by the June-end. In the first phase, trains will run between the Sector V and Salt Lake stadium stations. East-West Metro will connect Salt Lake Sector V with Howrah Maidan when trains will run on the entire 16.6km route.
East-West Metro Map
More About East-West Metro:
- Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation Ltd (KMRCL) is a Government of India enterprise implementing Kolkata East-West Metro Corridor Project.
- Upon completion, East-West Metro will connect Salt Lake Sector-V in the East and Howrah Maidan in the West.
- There will be 6 elevated stations and 6 underground stations.
- The line will have interchange with existing terminals of Indian railways at Howrah and Sealdah.
Cut in travel cost and time-
- Running through the heart of Kolkata, bridging two of the city’s most populous areas, the corridor has been planned to drastically cut down on travel cost and time.
- Normally, one would take at least an hour and a half and multiple modes of transport to travel between the extremities of the city at peak hours on a weekday.
- The East-West Metro Corridor will provide the Kolkata commuter a seamless way to travel.
- The East-West Metro will have sound barriers on some stretches in Salt Lake where the tracks run cheek by jowl with residential buildings and hospitals.
- Sources said,”The sound barriers will be made of micro-perforated stainless steel sheets.
- The sound barriers to be installed along the tracks, will be imported from Taiwan.
- The source said, the sound barriers are expected to bring down the noise level by at least 20 decibel.
- It will be installed on the stretches where buildings are within 30m of the tracks.
- The perforated sheets are expected to absorb the noise to be produced by the movement of trains.
- The installation should be over around the time commercial run will start.