The redevelopment works at Habibganj and Gandhinagar railway stations is expected to be completed by March 2020, according to reports. Redevelopment works at Habibganj railway station is likely to be completed by January 2020 and by March 2020 at Gandhinagar railway station, it said.
Redevelopment of Habibganj Railway Station:
- Habibganj railway station in Madhya Pradesh is being reconstructed on the lines of Germany’s Heidelberg railway station by the IRSDC (Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation), along with a private firm, Bansal Pathways Habibganj Private Ltd.
- Habibganj Railway station is the first station to be redeveloped through PPP (Public-Private Partnership) route under the station redevelopment program of Indian Railways.
- The entire Habibganj Station redevelopment project is likely to be a Rs 450 crore project, of which Rs 100 crore would be spent on station redevelopment and Rs 350 crore on commercial development.
- Bhopal based Bansal Group is awarded the contract for the Redevelopment of Habibganj Railway Station.
- The firm won the bid to redevelop and maintain the station, in 2016.
New Habibganj Station To Have These Features:
- The new-look Habibganj railway station will boast of a glass dome-like structure and have facilities such as food plazas & cafeterias and a plush waiting lounge.
- The station will have dedicated pick up and drop off parking facilities for station users.
- It will be converted into a world-class transit hub which will have shopping stores, restaurants, eateries, parking lots, etc.
- The station will be powered by solar energy & it will have facilities for differently-abled persons.
- The transit hub at Habibganj station is said to be designed in such a manner that, in case of any emergency passengers can evacuate the area within 4 minutes.
Redevelopment of Gandhinagar Railway Station:
- Around Rs 250 crore have been allocated for the redevelopment of the Gandhinagar railway station.
- The amenities at the new station would be on par with the facilities at airports, according to officials.
- The station would boast of a dedicated transit corridor which will house food stalls, book stalls, and a 600-seater waiting lounge.
- A five-star hotel of 300 rooms is being developed in air space above the railway station.
- This will be the largest hotel of Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar.
- The top of the hotel shall be 77m high and will be the tallest building in Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar.
- This will be the first hotel in India which is being built above railway tracks and on floating columns.
- The redeveloped station will have a columnless roof of 105m span which is the largest in India and being done for the first time.