The Hyderabad Metro Rail on Tuesday partnered with SugarBox Networks to provide ‘seamless on-the-go entertainment’ experience to commuters. The Hyderabad Metro is the first Metro in the country to introduce such ‘inflight-like facilities’ for commuters to watch and download movies, games, listen to music while travelling on Metro trains, a HMRL press release said.
- Managing director of HMRL Mr. NVS Reddy, said it is a ‘revolutionary technology‘ that allows use of seamless access to apps through a local wi-fi network without depending on internet connectivity or using mobile data, the release said.
- It said that the commuters have to look for ‘SugarBox’ in wi-fi settings and connect, open ZEE5 or Freeplay App and register using their mobile number, stream and download movies without buffer or data charges.
- ‘SugarBox Zones’ are set up in all Metro trains and 10 major stations in the city, it added.
- It is offered free for the first 2 months and subscription charges will be applicable thereafter for premium content, said Mr. Reddy.
- The facility is now available at Ameerpet, JNTU, Begumpet, Nagole, Uppal, Miyapur, KPHB, Kukatpally and Secunderabad (East) stations.
- Mr. Reddy also wanted SugarBox networks to extend education, knowledge-related movies and videos, e-learning, shopping, food delivery, last mile connectivity cab booking etc.
- SugarBox CEO Mr. Rohit Paranjpe agreed on introducing these facilities in the next few months.
- He said, “We are starting with Zee5 and will have more apps across categories on the platform shortly.”