Free wifi facility is now available to passengers at around 2,000 railway stations across the country, officials said. Rana Pratap Nagar railway station of Ajmer division in Rajasthan became the 2000th station in the country to have free internet facility, Puneet Chawla, the CMD of RailTel, said.
- He said in an official statement,”Our team is working round the clock and with each passing day execution pace is only increasing. Yesterday we made 74 stations live and while we speak some more stations are being made live with free wifi which is an incredible feat for us.”
- RailTel, a railway PSU, started providing free wifi services at Indian railway stations with a vision of turning them into a platform for digital inclusion.
- In the first phase, the wifi was made live at 1,600 stations across the country.
- Now, RailTel has roped in Tata Trust for providing the internet facility at remaining stations, except the halt ones.
- The idea behind providing free wifi to these very small stations catering to mainly rural and low population density areas is to provide the people with state of the art internet facility, the statement said.
RailTel Corporation a “Mini Ratna (Category-I)” PSU is one of the largest neutral telecom infrastructure providers in the country owning a Pan-India optic fiber network on exclusive Right of Way (ROW) along Railway track.
The OFC network covers all important towns & cities of the country and several rural areas covering 70% of India’s population. RailTel with strong nationwide presence is committed to bring cutting edge technology and offer innovative services to the Indian Telecom market.