Kolkata: Work on the tunnel for the underwater Metro project is almost complete and services will start very soon. The 5-km stretch of East-West Metro between Salt Lake and Howrah was inspected and will be operational soon.
- Once completed, the entire 16.6 km Kolkata East-West Metro will ferry an estimated one million passengers per day by 2035.
- The entire project will be completed by 2021.
- The 520-metre twin tunnel, one east-bound and west-bound, is built 30 metres below the riverbed.
- Commuters between Howrah and Mahakaran metro stations will be under the river for only about a minute when the train passes through the tunnel at a speed of 80 kmph.
- East-West Metro will have CBTC (communication-based train control) signalling system.
- A 5-km stretch between Salt Lake and Howrah has already received approval from the Commissioner, Railway Safety, the official also said.
- Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation Ltd (KMRC) is a Government of India enterprise implementing Kolkata East-West Metro Corridor Project.
- The line will have interchange with existing terminals of Indian railways at Howrah and Sealdah.