Integral Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai will take up the design, development and production of Train 19, a sleeper version of Train 18, now named as Vande Bharat Express train set on the lines of Rajdhani Express, said a senior Railway Board official.
- The ICF will roll out 40 Vande Bharat Express train sets, while fitting with the driver cabin crash guard with aluminium design in place of fibre reinforced plastic (FRP) used now.
- This year ICF will take up design, development and production of Train 19 sets similar to Rajadhani Express, Mr. Rajesh Agrawal, Member (Rolling Stock) said.
- The last fiscal ICF became the world’s largest railway coach manufacturer rolling out 3,262 coaches, he said.
Coach Manufacturing at ICF
- Mr. Agrawal hoped the coach maker will touch a production of 4,000 coaches this fiscal.
- Some south-east Asian and South American nations have evinced interest in importing Train 18, Mr. Agrawal said.
- He added, however, after fulfilling the needs of Indian Railways, the same will be considered.
- Around Rs 2,500 crore infrastructure improvement projects are being planned for coach production units of Indian Railways, of which Rs 500 crore are planned to be spent for ICF, according to Mr. Agrawal.
- ICF plans to roll out 12 rakes of air conditioned suburban trains.
Rail Coach Factory, Latur
- Mr. Agrawal said, the Rail Coach Factory at Latur in Maharashtra is now getting ready.
- The Coach Factory is likely to be commissioned this year, he said.
About Train 18 or Vande Bharat Express:
- The Vande Bharat Express was flagged off by the shri Prime Minister Narendra Modi from New Delhi to Varanasi on February 15.
PM Modi launching Vande Bharat Express
- The Vande Bharat Express, which began its first commercial run from February 17, will soon start replacing Shatabdi Express trains.
- Being developed at the Integral Coach Factory (ICF) in Chennai “Train 18” , the country’s first engine-less train with a seating capacity of 1128 passengers in 16 coaches/chair cars, comes with super-comfortable seating, automatic doors, vacuum toilets, space for wheelchairs & disabled friendly restrooms.
- Driven by a self-propulsion module sans a separate locomotive, the semi-high speed train, comes with technical features for enhanced quick acceleration.
- The 16-coach train has two executive compartments with 52 seats each and trailer coaches with 78 seats each.
- The executive class coaches have rotating seats to match the direction of the train.
- The self-propelled train has been manufactured by the Integral Coach Factory (ICF) Chennai under ‘Make in India’ initiative at a cost of Rs 97 crore.
View of Vande Bharat Express
The Vande Bharat Express boasts of features such as:
- European-style comfortable seats
- Aircraft-like diffused lighting
- Rotating seats in the Executive chair car
- Swanky mini pantry
- Fully sealed gangways for dust-free environment and easy movement of passengers
- Automatic doors with sliding footsteps
- Disabled-friendly toilets as well as wheelchair parking spaces
Inside view of Vande Bharat Express
- Inter-connected fully sealed gangways
- Automatic doors with retractable footsteps
- Onboard Wi-Fi and infotainment
- GPS-based passenger information system
- Modular toilets with bio-vacuum systems
- Rotational seats which can be aligned in the direction of travel (available only in the executive class)
- Roller blinds
- Diffused LED lighting
- Disabled-friendly toilets
- Mobile charging points
- Climate control system that automatically adjusts the temperature