Free travel insurance of Rs 25 lakh each, luggage pick and drop service, exclusive lounges to relax and taxi and hotel bookings – IRCTC is offering passengers on board its Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express a host of services, albeit at a cost, as part of its efforts to promote its first train next month.
- This is for the first time that IRCTC will be fully in charge of train services.
- Bringing in private train operators to provide world-class passenger service was a proposal mooted by the railways in its 100-day agenda as part of its move to hand over certain trains to private operators.
- The passengers of this train will be given the facility of using retiring rooms at Lucknow junction station and executive lounge at New Delhi Railway station and lounge for meetings on demand.
- No concessions, privileges or duty passes will be allowed on these trains.
- A document enumerating the operational details of the train said,”There will be no facility of tatkal quota. Five seats each will be reserved for foreign tourists in Executive Class and AC Chair car.”
- The fares of the train will be dynamic and will be competitive as against taxi, bus and flight fares on the same route, it said.
- It said, fares will be decided based on peak or lean season, festival season and according to demand.
- Unlike the 120-day advance booking allowed across the railway network, IRCTC’s train will allow such booking 60 days prior to the day of the journey.
- The train will also have a chair car which will allow passengers to book group tickets on the first-cum-first-serve basis.
- For group bookings, 78 seats in one AC chair car will be available and have to be booked at least 3 days in advance from date of journey.
- This facility will be available online.