Kanpur: The priority section of the Metro rail project from IIT-Kanpur to Moti Jheel is expected to be completed by December 2021. Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Shri Yogi Adityanath launched the civil construction work for the Kanpur Metro”s priority section on 15th November, 2019.
- Addressing the gathering, he said metro trains will soon run in Kanpur too, adding that he has instructed the authorities to complete the first phase of the work at the earliest.
- Preparations have been made to build the pillar of the metro overbridge from IIT to Kalyanpur in the first phase, Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation (UPMRC) Managing Director Kumar Keshav said.
- The contract to build the viaduct of an 8.728-km-long elevated section of the priority corridor was awarded to Afcons Infrastructure Ltd on September 13.
- He added, the corridor was expected to be completed by December 2021.
- The 8.728-km-long priority section will have eight metro stations.
- The eight metro stations are — IIT-Kanpur, Kalyanpur Railway Station, SPM Hospital, CSJM University, Gurudev Chauraha, Geeta Nagar, Rawatpur Railway Station, Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital (Moti Jheel).
- The estimated expenditure for the section is about Rs 2,000 crore.
- It is expected that metro operations on the priority corridor will commence within two years.