With a rise in the number of daily commuters, the Kochi Metro has started generating a profit from its daily operations most of the days, according to an official. With this the Kochi Metro has become the second metro after the Delhi Metro to register a profit from its daily operations.
- The operating profit has been approximately Rs 2 lakh since April on most days.
- Kochi Metro’s new stretch from Maharaja’s College junction to Thykoodam was inaugurated on September 3, 2019.
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the service at a function presided over by Minister of State for Housing and Union Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri.
- Earlier, the Commissioner of Metro Rail Safety (CMRS) had granted sanction for the new stretch.
- The new stretch has a total of 5 metro stations – Ernakulam South, Kadavanthra, Elamkulam, Vyttila, and Thykoodam.
- Foundation stones for constructing the Petta-SN Junction Section of Kochi Metro and for Kochi Water Metro Project to provide intermodal connectivity between jetties, bus terminals, and metro rail were also laid on the occasion.
- The first phase of Kochi Metro was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in June 2017.