Kochi: The Kochi Metro Rail Ltd (KMRL) on Friday tied up with Google Maps. Through this partnership, Metro routes, fares, stop timing at each station and duration of the trip will be shared to the general public. Those having a mobile phone with Google Maps can easily access the service.
- KMRL, by tying up with Google Maps, will provide the exact position of the trains, the time to reach the station and the route map which will help passengers in journey.
- KMRL managing director APM Mohammed Hanish said,“Kochi Metro on Google Map will benefit the users immensely as they can view the timing of trains at each station and expected length of their trip. This is a continuation of the open data initiative of KMRL.”
- “Because of availability of authentic information on the widely used Google Maps, commuters can have better-informed travel, and so we expect more commuters to our system.”
- Until now the Google map in Kochi only showed recommendations based on personal commute and trains, he said.
- The public transit options in Kochi will now include Metro along with personal transport and trains.
- Through this initiative, KMRL joins other metro agencies like Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation (BMRCL) in the country to push the transit data to Google Maps.
- KMRL launched the train schedule and fare information in GTFS format and became the first metro agency in India to adopt the open data approach.
- GTFS stands for General Transit Feed Specification.
- It is a format through which the transit data can be consumed by a wide variety of software applications.
- Post opening up the data KMRL has been in discussions with Google to integrate the metro information on Google maps.
- The inauguration was held at the KMRL office at Revenue Tower on Friday.
- After meeting the procedural requirements, the KMRL GTFS feed has been pushed and is now live on Google Maps.
- This would enable Google Maps to give better commuting recommendations to the users.
To know more about recent developments of Kochi Metro: Click Here
( Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. )
Some Past Related Updates which might interest you :
12 Apr, 2019: DMRC receives award for balanced cantilever structure
02 Apr, 2019: Kochi Metro commissions 2,719 kW solar plant at Muttom