Kolkata: Metro tracks will finally be built under the Maidan for the Joka-Esplanade project with the railway ministry has allocated Rs 2,825 crore for building 6km of tracks underground, said an official. Initially, the plan was to build a viaduct but the army, which is the custodian of the Maidan, had objected to the plan.
- The railway ministry had written a letter on July 4 to Calcutta Metro, approving the additional cost, according to sources.
- An official said,”We are now planning to engage a general consultant and project management consultant as the first step.”
- “Work is expected to start soon,” the official said.
- There will be 4 underground stations, one each at Kidderpore, Victoria Memorial, Park Street and Esplanade.
- At Esplanade, there will be integration of 3 routes, existing North-South Metro, East-West Metro and Joka-Esplanade Metro.
- The tracks will be built about 20 metres underground.
- A source said that the tunnels will be bigger than that of East-West metro project because Joka-Esplanade is broad gauge line.
- Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) would be used for the construction.
Image Credit : Afcons