Jammu: Lieutenant Governor, Girish Chandra Murmu on Thursday took a comprehensive review of the proposed Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) and the Light Metro Rail Projects for Jammu and Srinagar cities in a meeting chaired at the Raj Bhavan.
- Principal Secretary, Housing and Urban Development Department, Dheeraj Gupta gave a detailed presentation on Jammu and Srinagar Light Metro Rail Projects.
- The projects costing Rs 9,590 crore is expected to commence operations by September 2024, he informed.
- The Elevated Light Metro Rail Corridor in Jammu will connect Bantalab to Bari Brahmana Railway Station (Corridor-1) with a total length of 23 km in Phase-1 and Exhibition Ground to Udheywala (Corridor-1) and Exhibition Ground to Satwari Chowk (Corridor-2) in Phase-2.
- In Srinagar, the Light Metro Rail will connect Indra Nagar to HMT Junction (Corridor-1) and Hazuri Bagh to Osmanabad (Corridor-2) of 12.5 km length each and Indra Nagar to Pampore Bus-stand (Corridor-1), Hazuri Bagh to Airport (Corridor-2) will be taken up in Phase-1 & 2, respectively.
- The Lt. Governor emphasized on the linkage of Light Metro stations with the tourist destinations and places of high footfall.
- He directed the officers to prepare a wise plan for the clearance of Right of Way (RoW), land acquisition and other such matters.
- The Lt Governor observed that the planning and development of Mass Rapid Transit should be timed with growth in travel demand for successful implementation of the mega project.
- The meeting also discussed several important issues including major parameters for selection of MRTS corridors, fare structure of various operational metro rail systems and transportation model.
- BVR Subrahmanyam, Chief Secretary; Arun Kumar Mehta, Financial Commissioner, Finance; Bipul Pathak, Principal Secretary to the Lieutenant Governor; Dheeraj Gupta, Principal Secretary Housing and Urban Development Department; Rohit Kansal, Principal Secretary Planning, Development and Monitoring Department; Kumar Rajeev Ranjan, CEO , Mass Rapid Transit Corporation, Jammu & Metro Rail Transport Corporation Srinagar; Vikas Kundal, Additional CEO, Metropolitan Regulatory Authority, Srinagar ; Avny Lavasa, CEO, J&K Economic Reconstruction Agency (ERA) and Pankaj Magotra, Commissioner JMC were present during the meeting.