Mumbai: Metro works of more than Rs 1.16 lakh crore are underway in Mumbai and the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR), Maharashtra Chief Minister Mr. Devendra Fadnavis told the Legislative Assembly recently. He also noted that the area under the MMRDA has been expanded from 3,965 sq km to 4,355 sq km.
- Mr. Fadnavis said,”More than Rs 1.16 lakh crore metro works are underway in Mumbai and MMR. Metro 3 will be operational in two phases in 2021 and 2022.”
- Mumbai Trans Harbour Link is another major project and the work on it is progressing in full swing, he said.
- Mumbai Trans Harbour Link will connect east Mumbai with Nhava-Sheva across the creek.
- Planning agencies catering to the Mumbai region including the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA), CIDCO are getting loans at low interest rates, the chief minister said.
- He said,”We are working on a hybrid metro system for Nashik city. Detailed Project Report (DPR) is ready. It is easily convertible into metro.”
- The CM said,”There is a huge cost difference between the two. Hybrid metro costs around Rs 50 crore per km and regular metro costs Rs 275 crore per km.”
276-km long metro line by 2024
- Mumbai will have a 276-km long metro line by 2024.
- The government has developed a plan for 12 metro lines with a total length of 276 km.
- As of now, Mumbai has one operational metro line (Line 1 – elevated metro from Versova to Ghatkopar).
- Works on the various metro lines are underway at different stages of planning and construction in Mumbai.
- While lines 2, 4, 6, 7 (under construction), 5 and their extensions (bidding in progress) will be built by MMRDA, the completely underground line 3 (also under construction) will be built by Mumbai Metro Railway Corporation Limited (MMRCL).