Mumbai: The MMRDA (Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority) will buy 10 additional monorail rakes for which the tendering procedure is underway, according to a report. The MMRDA is expected to run 3 additional monorail rakes within 3 months, it said.
- At present, 4 trains run on the phase-2 of the Mumbai Monorail from Wadala to Sant Gadge Maharaj (Mahalaxmi) station, Asian Age reported.
- The waiting time for passengers between two trains is approx, 20 minutes.
- Due to this time gap, passengers avoid opting to travel by monorail.
- The new rakes will not only improve the frequency but also help increase the number of passengers, according to an MMRDA official.
- The official said,“Spare parts required for monorail are made to order. There are very few companies that manufacture spare parts and it takes a considerable amount of time to reach the spot.”
- Thus, to make 3 more trains available for service, the MMRDA will use the spare parts of scrapped monorail rakes.
- A tender for the new rakes will be floated after the Lok Sabha elections results are out, according to an MMRDA officer.
- “It will take two and a half years to receive the new rakes after the tender is open,” said the officer. Nearly 25,000 passengers travel on phase 2 on a daily basis.
Mumbai Metro One Ties up with Instamojo for card payments
Date : May 16, 2019
Mumbai Metro One on Wednesday announced a tie-up with payment gateway ‘Instamojo’ to enable card payments aimed at boosting cashless travel.
- Accordingly, the 4.50 lakh commuters of the Metro can now pay for their tickets by debit/credit cards for all kinds of ticketing products like single journey token or return journey token.
- An official spokesperson for Mumbai Metro One Pvt. Ltd. (MMOPL) said, ‘Instamojo’ is the technology partner facilitating this cashless initiative where there is no need for point-of-sale(POS) terminal, or installing any payment apps on the commuter’s smartphone, making it an Electronic Point of Sale.
- Commuters can scan the static QR code or type the URL at any Metro ticket counters, enter the debit/credit card details, make the payment for tickets or recharge smart cards and travel.
- The biggest advantage is that the control of payment lies with the commuter as there is no need to hand-over the card to anybody for swiping and the payments can be made by the commuter before or after coming to a ticket counter, and show the confirmation SMS to get the ticket.
- The spokesperson said, since launch in June 2014, Mumbai Metro One has implemented various technological innovations for ticketing ease and seamless travel experience for the commuters on the Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar corridor.
To know more about recent developments of Mumbai Metro: Click Here
( Please reach us at email@example.com for more information. )
Some Past Related Updates which might interest you :
19 Mar, 2019: Mumbai Metro One launches 2-in-1 travel smart card