Mumbai: The car depot for metro-3 project will be built at Aarey Colony, according to Ashwini Bhide, Managing Director, Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation (MMRC). She spoke & interacted with the audience at TogetherVCAN ‘s Social Sanchar about ” Mumbai Metro – How will it change urban transport” at the Bombay Yacht Club near the Gateway of India.
- She said, it is a technical decision taken after the survey.
- She said, we need this 30 hectare land for the car depot.
- “It is a technical decision. The car depot cannot be set on remote land. It should be near the last station. Maintenance and operation control will be carried out from the car depot,” the MD said.
- She explained that there would be 55 trains and 8 coaches which would regularly take a night halt at the depot and be maintained there.
- The car shed could not be set up at Kanjurmarg because the land was stuck in litigation since 1996, she said.
- This was also why the MMRDA was not using the land for setting up the metro-6 (Lokhandwala-Jogeshwari-Vikhroli-Kanjurmarg) route.
- Instead, the car shed was being set up at some other place.
- The Metro-3 line is a 33.5 KMs long underground corridor running along Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ.
- The corridor will have 27 stations out of which 26 will be underground and 1 at grade.
- Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Limited (MMRC) is the nodal agency responsible for the implementation of Mumbai Metro Line–3(MML-3) project.