The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) is planning to commission the two Metro lines — Metro 2A (DN Nagar to Dahisar) and Metro 7 (Dahisar East to Andheri East) — by December 2020. MMRDA Metropolitan Commissioner R.A. Rajeev said that the target is to complete 337 km of Metro lines by 2026.
- He said, we hope to start work on four more lines this year and are also looking at making two lines operational by the year-end.
- The other four metro lines are:
- Line 10 (Gaimukh to Shivaji Nagar)
- Line 11 (Wadala to General Post Office)
- Line 12 (Kalyan to Taloja)
- Line 14 (Kanjurmarg to Badlapur)
- These four metro lines will be built on a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model.
- Meanwhile, Metro Line-2B (DN Nagar-Mandale), Line-4 (Wadala-Kasarvadavali) and Line-6 (Swami Samarth Nagar-Vikhroli), will be operational by 2021, MMRDA had claimed.
- The ambitious Colaba-Bandra-Seepz Metro-3 corridor, being implemented by the Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation (MMRC), is also expected to be commissioned in 2021.
- The MMRDA said, “Once completed, these five lines — 2A, 7, 2B, 4 and 6 — with an aggregate worth of Rs 44,869 crore are expected to serve more than 50 lakh commuters at about 98 stations across the city.”
- It said, these lines are expected to make a considerable commuter shift by 35%, thus easing the gruelling grind that the suburban rail network is.