Mysuru Workshop of South Western Railway was established in 1924 as a base workshop of the erstwhile Mysore State Railway. The workshop has started POH of BG coaches from 1994. With the introduction of LHB coaches on Indian Railways, the workshop has been nominated to carry out Shop Schedule-1, Shop Schedule-2 and Shop Schedule-3 Schedules for the LHB coaches from 2012 onwards.
- Recently, Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) had sought Mysuru Workshop to manufacture the 900 Trailer Coaches Wheel sets for 225 Trailer Coach Cars.
- 300 Motor Coach Wheel Sets for 75 Motor Coach Cars.
- BEML is manufacturing MEMU coaches for 8 car formation with Bombardier Propulsion System to ply between Ghaziabad and Delhi region.
- All the required Material including drill bits have to be supplied by BEML at their cost.
- The work consists of machining and pressing of the wheel and Axle Assy.
- Wheel shop of Mysuru Workshop has successfully manufactured High speed MEMU motor coach wheel that is fit to run at a speed of 160 kmph.
- This wheel manufacturing is undertaken for the first time in Indian Railway workshop against M/s Bombardier quality plan.
- M/S Bombardier Transportations use these types of Motor Suspension Unit (MSU) Assemblies for Electrical Multiple Unit (EMU) rakes in India.
- The first batch of 6 wheel sets is ready for dispatch to BEML under deposit work of Rs.2.4 Crores 188 Trailer Coach wheels and 52 Motor Coach wheels have so far been manufactured.
- Shri T Srinivasu Chief Workshop Manager, Mysuru under the direction of Shri Ravi Kumar, PCME has executed this work for the first time on Indian Railways.
Shri Ajay Kumar Singh, GM/SWR commended the work of Mysuru Workshop and said that this is a big achievement as wheels were being manufactured in Rail Wheel factories usually.
SWRs Recent Progress during the lockdown:
- Remodeling work of the Hosapete has been completed. Yard remodeling has enabled simultaneous reception/dispatch of trains from both directions.
- Kudgi Canal Crossing work of Krishna Bhagya Jal Nigam Ltd. (KBJNL) completed by Hubballi Division. This has enabled in irrigating 1.66 Lakh hectares of land and benefitted a large number of farmers.
- Lachyan-Hotgi (33 Km) doubling with 670 m long Bhima Bridge has been completed during the period.
- 28 km new line between Gangavati and Karatagi has also been completed.
- Hubballi Division has taken up speed enhancement work over the division.
- Sectional speed between Majorda and Vasco Da Gama is increased from 75 KMPH to 100 KMPH.
- Permanent Speed Restrictions have been removed at six locations over Hubballi-Londa section by carrying out upgradation works.
- Speed between Ghataprabha and Chikkodi road station has been enhanced to 110 KMPH.
- Electrification work between Kariganur-Harlapur is completed.
Progress of other projects:
- Doubling works are going on in full swing 16.39 km doubling between Unkal and Dharwad is expected to be completed by September 2020.
- The doubling work of Gadag to Hole Alur is expected to be completed by January 2021.
- Doubling between Chikkodi Road-Kudachi is likely to be completed by December, 2020.
- The station redevelopment works are being taken up in the Hubballi Division.
- Bagalkot, Vijayapura, Dharwad, Belagavi, Hosapete station buildings are being reconstructed.
- A new goods shed at Khajjidoni is being developed.
- New Goods Shed at Navanagar in Bagalkot, Aliyabad in Vijayapura are also being constructed.
Source: South Western Railway-Press Release