NCRTC has started civil construction work on the Package-I (From Vaishali to Ghaziabad via Sahibabad) of the priority section of the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS corridor. The 17-km long priority section is from Sahibabad to Duhai, which is scheduled for commissioning in March, 2023.
- The civil construction work on the Package-II (Ghaziabad station to EPE) of the priority section is already in advanced stages.
- Commuters will be able to travel on the country’s first rail rapid transit corridor in over 3 years from now as its 17-km-long Duhai-Sahibabad section in Uttar Pradesh’s Ghaziabad is expected to be operational by early 2023.
- The entire Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS corridor, spanning 82 km, will be operational by 2025.
- The RRTS is a first-of-its-kind, rail-based, high-speed regional transit system to be implemented in India.
- Once operational, it will be the fastest, most comfortable and safest mode of commuter transport in the National Capital Region (NCR).
- The project involves integration with other urban transport systems in an efficient and effective manner which is possible only by adopting innovative methods of designing, technology and institutional management.
- The National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC) is the executing agency of the Rapid Rail Transit System (RRTS) project.
- The Duhai-Sahibabad section will have 4 stations — Duhai, Guldhar, Ghaziabad and Sahibabad — besides a depot at Duhai.
- The opening of the Duhai-Sahibabad section will connect the Ghaziabad RRTS station to Delhi Metro’s Ghaziabad New Bus Adda station.
- Also, the Sahibabad RRTS station will integrate with the proposed Vasundhara Sector-2 metro station and bus terminal.