The new Vande Bharat Express trains will be lighter in weight, and will consume less power, officials said. The Railway Board has given approval to the Integral Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai to manufacture 45 new sets of Train 18, which has been christened as Vande Bharat Express, by 2021-22, railway ministry officials said.
- The official pointed out that go through for the manufacturing of 45 trains were given after the RDSO (Research Designs and Standards Organisation) approved a revised design which will ensure that the new trains will be lighter in weight, and will consume less power.
- The ICF has been asked to roll out the 45 new trains by 2021-22, when India completes 75 years of Independence, he said.
- The older design of Train 18 had become a point of contention in the case of the first 2 train sets operating between Delhi-Varanasi, Delhi-Katra.
- In February this year, the first service of Train 18 or Vande Bharat Express was flagged off by Prime Minister Narendra Modi from New Delhi to Varanasi.
- The second train was flagged off between Delhi and Katra on October 5.
- The new 45 rakes will be manufactured on a revised design of the Train-18 model approved by the RDSO, the official said.
- The official also pointed out that the ICF has been asked to first procure the propulsion system for the train and also emphasise on the ‘Make In India’ initiative of the government while manufacturing the train.
- The train comes with the best amenities including:
- High-speed on-board WiFi
- GPS-based passenger information system
- Touch-free bio-vacuum toilets
- LED lighting
- Mobile charging points
- Climate control system that automatically adjust the temperature
- The 16-coach train has two executive compartments with 52 seats each and trailer coaches with 78 seats each.
- The executive class coaches have rotating seats to match the direction of the train.