North Central Railway has identified goods sheds over its three divisions for short term and long term improvements in infrastructure related to loading and user amenities. Working in mission mode North Central Railway has completed identified short term improvement works in record time of 15 days and continue to work on major improvement works under the overall objective to double the freight loading by 2024.
- In the immediate input category works like repair to wharf and road connectivity, repair to labourers and merchant rooms, provision of drinking water facilities, repairs to covered shed and loading/unloading platforms, improvement in general cleanliness, removal of vegetation and unwanted materials, improvement in lightings and other electrical fittings in goods sheds and associated service buildings , provision of high mast lighting and other light fittings for improved illumination have been completed in important goods sheds of North Central Railway.
- Under this initiative, Prayagraj division has improved goods sheds of Chunar, Mirzapur, Prayagraj Chheoki/Naini, Kanpur Central, Panki Dham, Etwah, Mainpuri, Sikohabad, Firozabad and Aligarh; Jhansi Division has undertaken improvement works in Rayaru, Datia and Bhimsen goods sheds while Agra division has completed short term improvement works in Kosi Kalan, Mathura, Kuberpur and Yamuna Bridge goods sheds.
- Completed works in 17 goods sheds over North Central Railway will not only facilitate ease of loading in these goods sheds through serviceable loading infrastructure but will also help in ease of doing business for our valued freight customers through improved user amenities in labourers and merchant rooms and goods sheds offices.
- Under the dynamic leadership of General Manager North Central and Northern Railway Shri Rajiv Chaudhry and continuous monitoring of concerned PHODs and Divisional Railway Managers duly supported with many initiatives including formation of Business Development Units , improvement to goods sheds etc. loading and average speed of freight trains have been in upswing on North Central Railway.
- Despite the ongoing Covid-19 crisis , North Central Railway as on 29.07.20 has loaded 45.1 lakhs tonnes freight in 2020-21 against loading of 52.2 lakhs tonnes in the corresponding period of last financial year.
- Freight revenue as on 29.07.20 of Rs 484.42 Crores earned by North Central Railway in the current financial year is already up by Rs 30.17 Crores over freight earning of Rs 454.25 Crores in last financial year.
- Undeterred by Corona epidemic North Central Railway is striving not only to touch the last year freight loading volume but to surpass it within the next one month time.
- Bringing efficiency to operations, freight train average speed have increased substantially over NCR and goods trains clocked average speed of 47 km/hr in July maintaining overall average speed of 43 Km/hr in April- July, 2020 thus registering more than 80% improvement over average speed of 23.48 Km/hr in the same period of last financial year.
Source: North Central Railway-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): South Central Railway