Santacruz railway station in Mumbai is the 1600th station to become a RailWire Wi-Fi zone, the Western Railway said. With this, RailWire Wi-Fi by RailTel is now live at 1600 railway stations across the country.
- RailTel Corporation, a “Mini Ratna (category-I)” PSU, is one of the largest neutral telecom infrastructure providers in the country owning a pan-India optic fibre network on exclusive Right of Way (ROW) along Railway track.
- RailWire is a retail Broadband initiative of the RailTel, which envisages extending broadband and application services to the public.
- The WR said in a statement,”In order to fulfil the promise of bringing fast and free Wi-Fi at all stations (except the halt stations) within a year, team RailTel is tirelessly working to achieve the target and in this process, WR’s Santacruz station became the 1600th railway station of the Indian Railway which has now been equipped with RailWire Wi-Fi connectivity.”
- Reay Road station of the Central Railway became the 1000th station to be covered under free wi-fi facility two days back, WR CPRO (Chief Public Relations Officer) Ravinder Bhakar said.
- He said,”Now Santacruz station has become the 1600th station in the country to have fast free RailWire Wi-Fi.”
- RailTel CMD Puneet Chawla said,”RailTel has provided high speed Wi-Fi at 985 stations with own/other funding and at 415 A, A1 and C category stations, associating Google as the technology partner for radio access, while using the RailTel backbone for broadband connectivity. RailTel has also completed work of providing Wi-Fi to 200 stations with support of Universal Service Obligatory Fund of GoI.”
- RailTel started providing the free public Wi-Fi service at Indian railway stations with a vision of turning Railway stations into a platform for digital inclusion.
- The idea behind providing free Wi-Fi to these very small stations catering to mainly rural/low population density areas is to provide the people with state of the art Wi-Fi facility.
To know more about recent developments of Railway: Click Here
( Please reach us at email@example.com for more information. )
Some Past Related Updates which might interest you :
10 Apr, 2019: Tirupati Railway Station bags IGBC Gold Rating
09 Apr, 2019: Zyfra to offer technology for MCF’s Metro coaches