Indian Railways has manufactured a high-speed locomotive in West Bengal’s Chittaranjan Locomotive Works (CLW), achieving a top speed of 180 km per hour, Union Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal said on Monday.
- The minister also mentioned that the new locomotive is produced under the “Make in India” initiative.
- “It will speed up trains like never before,” Goyal tweeted from his official Twitter handle.
- This High Speed Locomotive achieved speed of 180 Kmph during statutory trials in Kota Division on 12.08.2019.
- This WAP-7HS locomotive is capable of hauling 24 coach train at 160 Kmph.
- The complete design and development of locomotive have been done indigenously under “Make in India” initiative in CLW.
- This new type of locomotive is expected to facilitate the operation of premium trains such as Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto at a higher speed.