The Double line and electrification between Chigicherla and Zangalapalli, which is a part of Gooty-Dharmavaram Doubling Project, has been commissioned for Rail traffic on receipt of authentication from Commissioner for Railway Safety (CRS).
The Gooty-Dharmavaram Doubling Project is a vital rail link connecting Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka states. This line serves as an important and one of the main routes connecting both the Telugu states Telangana and Andhra Pradesh with Bangalore, the capital city of Karnataka.
- The Doubling and Electrification of Gooty-Dharmavaram project for a distance of 90 kms is being executed by Rail India Technical and Economic Service (RITES).
- The sanctioned cost of the project is Rs 636.38 crore and the project is being completely funded by Railways.
- Out of the entire project of 90 kms stretch, the doubling and electrification in the section between Kalluru – Garladinne for a distance of 11 kms has already been completed during September, 2019.
- Completion of 10.69 Km of Doubling and Electrification between Chigicherla and Zangalapalli will enable completion of around 22 Kms length of this project, which is around 25% of the total length of the project.
- The work in the remaining stretches is in fast progress.
Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, South Central Railway (SCR) congratulated the entire Railway and RITES team involved in commissioning the Double line between Chigicherla and Zangalapalli. He opined that commissioning of Double line will give impetus to the rail services on the Zone in general and in the Rayalaseema region of AP state in particular.
- Once the project is completed it will ease the congestion on this important saturated single line section and enables to run more number of Passenger and Freight trains will offer a huge boon to the local populous especially for nearby cement industries for quick transportation of their goods.
- It also helps in improving the connectivity between Southern states and also towards Mumbai.
- This Double line facilitates in faster and hassle transportation of cement & other goods originated from Guntakal Division and also taken over from Wadi & beyond from Central Railway heading towards Karnataka state and for the traffic moving in opposite direction.
Salient Features of the Double Line and Electrification commissioned between Chigicherla and Zangalapalli:
- A total of 10.69 kms of block section between Chigicherla and Zangalapalli has been doubled and electrified.
- Around 14 numbers of Minor bridges and 01 Major bridge constructed as part of doubling the section.
- Around 22 thousand-line sleepers are utilized besides spreading the ballast of 33 thousand cubic meters.
Speaking on this occasion Shri Mallya informed that this is the third consecutive infrastructure project being commissioned on the Zone in the month of June and appreciated the entire Rail force of the Zone for the dedicated service being displayed even during the pandemic times.
Source: SCR-Press Release