Heralding a landmark moment for South Central Railway in enhancing rail connectivity between Hyderabad City and major cities such as Mahabubnagar, Kurnool, Bengaluru, Anantapur, Kadapa, Tirupati etc., towards south, the Doubling of Railway Line between Shadnagar and Gollapalli has been completed and commissioned today i.e., 16th September, 2020. This is part of the Secunderabad – Mahabubnagar Doubling & Electrification Project, which is being executed by the Railway PSU, Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL).
- The Secunderabad – Mahabubnagar Doubling & Electrification project is one of the critical projects for strengthening the rail operations in the state of Telangana.
- The project was sanctioned for a distance of 85 Kms in 2015-16 at an estimated cost of Rs 774 crores.
- While the section between Secunderabad – Umdanagar is undertaken as part of MMTS Phase I &II, the doubling & electrification works in balance section i.e., Umdanagar – Mahabubnagar have been undertaken as separate project and is progressing at a fast pace.
- Now, completion of the 29 kms stretch of the newly Doubled rail line between Shadnagar – Gollapalli is a major milestone in accomplishing the Doubling project between Secunderabad – Mahabubnagar.
The Salient features of Shadnagar – Gollapalli Doubling Project are:
- Shadnagar, Gollapalli and Balanagar Station yards have been remodelled to incorporate additional running lines.
- Modern station building with well drawn-out elevation have been provided with improved Passenger Amenities like well-planned circulating area, booking concourse, convenient platforms, Foot over Bridges and Drinking water facilities among others.
- The track is designed to handle 25 Tonne axle loads with speed potential of 130 Kms per hour.
- 3 Major Bridges with PSC Girders & 52 Minor Bridges with RCC Boxes have been constructed.
- 4 Manned LC gates have been eliminated by constructing RUBs, while another 6 LC gates were upgraded to electronic operation for enhanced safety.
- Energy Conservation measures have been given prime importance by installation of 100% LED lighting, using of 5-star rated electrical equipments, solar panels over LC Gates etc.
- Station Masters rooms have been given a complete makeover by incorporating modern aesthetic designing to provide a positive work ambience, duly taking care every minute details of train operations to ensure highest safety standards.
- All the 33KV & 11KV overhead Power lines have been modified to underground to do away failures because of snapping of conductors.
- State of the art Signaling & Telecommunication features have been provided in the entire section, which includes:
- Electronic Interlocking with Centralised Architecture have been installed in three stations viz., Shadnagar, Gollapalli and Balanagar to ensure the safety at the highest level.
- “A” Class Lightning protection on Towers are fixed to protect the Electronic Equipment from lightning strikes, thereby enhancing system reliability.
- Dedicated 24 Fibre OFCs (Optic Fibre Cables) and 6 Quad cables are laid throughout section for effective and reliable communication & signaling.
- Signal Maintainer’s Rooms have been designed to ensure easy access of technical information in case of any failures, to minimize shut down time and improve work ambiance.
- For the first time ever on SCR, video surveillance has also been included for relay room, station yards and interlocked level crossing gates in the section to keep tab on safety and security of prime railway areas.
Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, SCR has congratulated the officers and staff of Hyderabad Division and RVNL on successful completion of doubling of the important section between Shadnagar – Gollapalli. He also stated that the dedication and determination presented by the Officers & staff towards the completion of project during the pandemic times, duly maintaining the Covid Protocol is highly appreciable.
On this Occasion, he advised the RVNL authorities and Hyderabad Division to maintain same vigor & attention in completing the balance portion to achieve the target within the shortest time possible.
Source: South Central Railway-Press Release