With a view to improve safety and operational efficiencies, South Eastern Railway has executed major maintenance work of tracks, bridges, curves besides yards and track renewals. The rail routes of South Eastern Railway have high density of freight and passenger trains. South Eastern Railway has presently 6464.624 Track KM stretching over Kharagpur, Adra, Chakradharpur and Ranchi Divisions. A large number of Mail/Express, Passenger and Goods trains have been running over them daily.
- Monitoring of track is a continuous activity. Section Engineers, Permanent Way Inspectors and staff of track maintenance have been working round the clock despite nation-wide Covid-19 crisis to keep safe, secured and well-maintained railway track.
- Infrastructural Civil Engineers and Section Engineers of Engineering Department have laid emphasis on line maintenance works and have done their best out night and day across SER’s jurisdiction.
- Security services are on patrol and Safety Inspectors are engaged in regular inspections.
- PWIs and Track-men are continuing to maintain railway tracks proactively inspite of Coronavirus threat and restrictions.
- The vast network of South Eastern Railway has been divided into various maintenance sections for thorough check up & inspections.
- These lengthy and massive railway tracks are being supervised and maintained by those track-men and Section Engineers who are excellent practical men with long experience of keeping tracks in good condition.
- Health of tracks is monitored through periodic inspections to ensure proper fitness for uninterrupted freight and passenger train movements.
- The vital link and flexibility in operations of the yards have been taken care of during maintenance.
- In the wake of Covid-19 pandemic and country-wide health & physical precautions, South Eastern Railway has been running a number of Parcel Express Trains for continuous supply of essential commodities and pharmaceuticals to reach out to the people across the country.
- In this situation, South Eastern Railway Track-men and Engineers have been involved in carrying out the track maintenance works following social distancing norms for safe operations and smooth running of numerous freight and passenger trains.
Growth in Freight Loading:
South Eastern Railway in the month of September, 2020 has loaded 15.78 million tonnes of freight as against 13.12 million tonnes loaded in September, 2019 registering a growth of 20%.
- Revenue generation from freight loading has also gone up by remarkable 21% in the last month.
- In September, 2020 SE Railway generated revenue of Rs 1241.08 crores from freight movement against Rs 1021.42 crores generated from freight traffic in September, 2019.
- The main commodities of freight loading of SER were Iron Ore, Coal, Pig Iron & Finished Steel, Cement, Food Grains, Fertiliser etc.
- Moreover, the average speed of freight trains in September, 2020 has been 118% more than that of September, 2019.
Source: South Eastern Railway-Press Release