Shri Durga Shankar Mishra (Secretary to the Government Of India), who was on an official visit to Mumbai called upon Metropolitan Commissioner R A Rajeev and visited the mock up Metro Coach for upcoming Mumbai Metro lines which is being exhibited at the MMRDA Grounds in BKC, according to a release.
- He appreciated the Mock up coach and also the hardwork of MMRDA for all its efforts being put forth to ensure the progress of the ongoing Metro work and its deliverables on time, it said.
- These coaches are being built by BEML in their Bengaluru factory and they are the first Metro Coaches being manufactured in India, it said.
- The MMRDA (Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority) had received first prototype metro car for the Mumbai Metro lines last month.
- This is the precursor to the supply of 505 metro cars by BEML under the Make in India initiative, it said.
- BEML had received an order for Rs. 3,015 crore from MMRDA for the supply of 378 metro cars which includes 63 metro trainsets having 6 cars each for Mumbai Metro lines 2 & 7.
- Besides, additional work order for 21 trains has also been placed with BEML for the production of additional metro coaches for the Mumbai Metro line 2 and 7.
Some of the salient features of trains are:
- Fully Air Conditioned
- Driverless train compatibility
- Energy friendly with regenerative braking system.
- Train to operate on 25 KV AC traction.
- Equipped with CCTV surveillance for passenger security and real-time track monitoring.
- Carrying capacity of 300 passengers in each coach.
- Stainless steel body with 4 doors on each side.