The safe and smooth running of both passenger and goods trains entirely depends upon the proper maintenance of Locomotives, various types of passenger coaches and wagons.
During lockdown period, South Eastern Railway (SER) has taken a major initiative in asset maintenance works in the mechanical field, viz maintenance of Locos, passenger coaches, wagons under Periodical Overhauling (POH), Intermediate Overhauling in between the POH as and when necessary at all Depots and Workshops.
- Coaches of passenger trains have been given special attention in order to avoid the possibility of untoward incidents due to breakage of springs, loose types on the wheels and other failure of mechanical equipment.
- Day to day repairs and maintenance have been carried out in Carriage & Wagon Depots during the lockdown.
- Special care has been taken to examine axle boxes of wagons and coaches.
- During lockdown, 15377 wagons have been repaired in the sick line and 2119 goods rakes have been examined.
- Periodical Overhauling has been done in 34 coaches and 119 wagons.
- 199 Shramik Special trains have been mechanically examined.
- Intermediate Overhauling has been done over 119 coaches.
- 76 Trolleys and 24 wheel sets have been taken in maintenance activities.
Production of face masks, PPE Kits and hand sanitizer:
- In the wake of Covid-19, the Mechanical Department of SER has produced a huge number of face masks, PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) Kits and hand sanitizer.
- As many as 1,14,281 reusable face masks, face shields and 8,676 litres of hand sanitizers have been produced for protection of frontline staff.
- In addition, 3752 PPE Kits have also been produced to support Doctors, Nurses, Para-medical staff and health care personnel on duty during Covid-19 pandemic.
- Apart from this, the railway zone has also modified 338 passenger coaches into isolation/quarantine coaches for the Coronavirus affected people.
SER has done asset maintenance works in its all fields with great care and diligence by maintaining social distancing and observing health protocols.
Source: SER-Press Release