Visakhapatnam: The State Budget of Andhra Pradesh has made the announcement to set up Monorail system in the city. State Finance Minister Buganna Rajendranath Reddy, who delivered his first Budget speech in the Andhra Pradesh Assembly, made the announcement on 15 July 2019.
- The implementation of the monorail project is aimed at facilitating the increasing demand for public transport.
- A comparatively lesser utilisation of land resources and lower construction cost per kilometer are a few of the major advantages of the proposed transport system.
- While the cost per kilometer for a monorail is likely to range around Rs 140 crore, the cost per kilometer of Metro Rail is estimated at Rs 195 crore.
- Reportedly, Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy has ordered the concerned officials to prepare the proposals for setting up monorail in Visakhapatnam and Vijayawada.
- It may be noted that plans were made to establish Metro Rail in Visakhapatnam over a distance of 42 km along three corridors.
- The authorities had planned to execute the project in a Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode,
- The estimated cost for setting up of the Metro rail project in Visakhapatnam was Rs 8300 crore.