Metro trains will soon be plying in Madhya Pradesh as the state government on Monday signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Centre for metro rail systems in Bhopal and Indore, officials said. The metro rail in these two cities will incur a cost of over Rs 14,000 crore and will have a combined length of 59.42 km.
- A state government spokesperson said that the MoU was signed in New Delhi in the presence of Madhya Pradesh’s minister for Urban Development and Housing Mr. Jaivardhan Singh and Union Urban Development and Housing Minister Mr. Hardeep Singh Puri.
- Officials of the MP Metro Rail Corporation were also present.
- The Union Cabinet had sanctioned the projects in October last year.
- Mr. Jaivardhan Singh said after the signing of the MoU,”It is a historic day. It will be our endeavour to implement the project on time without compromising on quality.”
- The first phase of the metro rail network in the two cities is expected to be operational by late 2022 or early 2023.
- While the Indore metro rail network will be spread across 31.55 km, the metro line in state capital Bhopal will be 27.87 km long.
- The Bhopal metro rail project will have two corridors– Karond Circle to AIIMS (14.99 Km) and Bhadbhada square to Ratnagiri Tiraha (12.88 Km).
- It will connect major public nodes and city cluster areas of the city which has an estimated population of 23 lakh.
- The Indore metro rail will run between Bengali Square-Vijay Nagar-Bhanwarshala -Airport-Palasia upto Bengali Square.
- The projects will be executed by the MP Metro Rail Corporation which will be a 50:50 joint venture between the Centre and the state government.