Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah will flag off the Delhi-Katra Vande Bharat Express on October 3, Railway Minister Shri Piyush Goyal said. The train will bring down the travel time between Delhi and Katra, the last station on way to the Vaishno Devi temple, to 8 hours from the current 12 hours.
- Mr. Goyal, “After the first Vande Bharat Express to Varanasi, the cultural capital of the country, the railway is going to run the second Vande Bharat Express from Delhi to Katra on the auspicious occasion of Sharadoya Navaratri. Home Minister Amit Shah will flag it off on October 3.”
- The Vande Bharat Express has features include:
- Automatic doors
- GPS based audio-visual passenger information system
- Onboard hotspot Wi-Fi for entertainment purposes
- Bio-vacuum toilets
- The first Vande Bharat Express was flagged off by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in February between Delhi-Varanasi.
- Recently, Railway Board Chairman Vinod Kumar Yadav had said, 40 such trains with sleeper class versions will be ready by 2022.
- He said, while the Delhi-Katra train will have modifications like more comfortable seats and pantry space, the others, for which the bidding process will begin next month, will weigh less, consume lesser energy and will be fit for sleeper coaches.
- The Delhi-Katra route was chosen by the Railway Board in a bid to capitalise on the high traffic volume owing to the Vaishno Devi temple pilgrimage.