With an aim to provide flight-like hospitality to passengers onboard, Indian Railways has implemented a pilot project where it has deployed air hostesses and flight stewards in Vande Bharat Express. The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has been given the responsibility to supervise the trial project.
- The service has already started in Vande Bharat Express.
- In a big step aimed at enhancing passengers’ convenience, the IRCTC has brought 34 trained air hostesses and flight steward on Vande Bharat Express for the duration of 6 months for a trial service.
- If it turns out to be successful, such a service is likely to be implemented in other trains as well.
- “The IRCTC is working hard to provide supreme services to passengers,” IRCTC spokesperson Siddhartha Singh said.
- Singh explained that usually a licensee caterer pays Rs. 8,000-10,000 per month to the person who serves food onboard to passengers.
- However, to provide the best service, the IRCTC is paying Rs. 25,000 per month to these air hostesses and flight stewards for better services.
About Vande Bharat Express
- In February, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had flagged off the train’s maiden run from New Delhi to Varanasi.
- The train is designed and developed by a Chennai-based Railways Production unit, Integral Coach Factory in just 18 months, which also includes the in-house design and manufacture, computer modelling and working etc.
- Adding up the green footprints, this fully ‘Make in India’ train has regenerative braking system in the coaches which can save up to 30% of electrical energy.
- The 16-coach train has two executive compartments with 52 seats each and trailer coaches with 78 seats each.
- The executive class coaches have rotating seats to match the direction of the train.
- The gleaming blue-nosed train comes fitted with the best amenities, including high-speed on-board WiFi, GPS-based passenger information system, touch-free bio-vacuum toilets, LED lighting, mobile charging points and a climate control system that automatically adjusts the temperature.