The West Central Railway (WCR) has become the first zone in the country to install bio-toilets in all its passenger trains, an official said. The initiative was implemented by the Indian Railways under the Swachh Rail, Swachh Bharat campaign.
- WCR central public relations officer Priyanka Dixit said, “Bio-toilets have been installed in all passenger trains originating from the three divisions of WCR – Jabalpur, Bhopal and Kota”.
- She said, bio-toilets convert human waste into water and bio gas with the help of anaerobic bacteria.
- Dixit added, the facility will improve cleanliness and hygiene on platforms, and will help the track and coach maintenance staff to perform their work more efficiently.
- Meanwhile, wi-fi facility has been introduced in 249 out of 272 WCR stations, the official said.
- The process to introduce the facility at the remaining stations is underway, the official added.