Work on the test track for the Hyperloop project between Mumbai and Pune will begin soon with the Maharashtra government expected to clear the Request for Proposal (RFP) soon, sources said. Authorities have set the 2021 deadline for completion of the test track, sources said.
- Earlier this year, the state had cleared a proposal to set up around 15-kms long test track between Kiwale and Urse along the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
- Work on construction of the test track for the hyperloop will begin shortly after the RFP is cleared, as per the sources.
- An official said,”We have set a deadline of 2021 for the test track to be completed as per the specifications of the company building the Hyperloop.”
- The Pune Metropolitan Region Development Authority (PMRDA) has been appointed as the nodal agency for the hyperloop project.
- Construction of the test track should proceed smoothly since land for it has already been identified, officials said.
- The hyperloop project has already been given the status of a public infrastructure project.
- The world’s first superfast, the Mumbai-Pune Hyperloop project is expected to increase the state’s GDP by 2.6% besides generating over tens of thousands of direct and indirect jobs, claims a study.
- A release said quoting a Virgin Hyperloop One-KPMG report,”Over its lifetime, the project will create over USD 36 billion in socio-economic benefits, resulting in a 2.6 percent increase in the state’s gross domestic product, and create new hyperloop components and manufacturing opportunities in the state to supply projects elsewhere in the country, and also to export.”
- It said that the project will attract an investment of over Rs 70,000 crore on completion.
- It will also generate 1.8 million direct and indirect jobs in the state, the report added.