Railway officials said, the CCEA (Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs) chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, on March 07, approved several projects of phase-IIIA of the MUTP (Mumbai Urban Transport Project) worth Rs 33,690 crore.
- A senior official of the MRVC (Mumbai Rail Vikas Corporation) said,”The Centre approved Rs 33,690 crore MUTP 3A project for infrastructure expansion of Mumbai suburban railways. This will help augment new lines, improve signalling system, development of station and more AC train operations in Mumbai and neighbouring cities.”
- The official said, among the projects, that will now see the light of the day are extension of Harbour line from Goregaon to Borivali, 5th and 6th line between Borivali and Virar, 4th line between Kalyan and Asangaon, 3rd and 4th line between Kalyan and Badlapur, segregation of long-distance and suburban train at Kalyan Yard, CBTC (Communication Based Train Control) technology, procurement of 191 AC local trains.
- However, Two of the most prestigious projects – fast elevated CSMT-Panvel corridor and New Suburban Corridor between Panvel and Virar were not approved by the committee.
- These 2 projects will be tabled before the committee for reconsideration, the MRVC official said.
- The Mumbai suburban railway network on Central and Western Railways has 385 route kms.
- There are 5 corridors, 2 on Western Railway, 2 on Central Railway and 1 on Harbour Line.
- Around 8 million people everyday travel in the suburban sections in more than 3000 train services.
- “Once the projects get executed, it will not only immensely benefit the passengers of Mumbai, but also those from Thane, Palghar and Raigad districts,” Anil Kumar Pitke, Chief spokesperson of MRVC said.
- He said, the projects are likely to take 5 years to complete.
(Please reach us at email@example.com for more information.)