Share with your network
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will flag off the 100th Kisan Rail from Sangola in Maharashtra to Shalimar in West Bengal on 28th December 2020 at 4:30 PM via video conferencing.
- Union Ministers Shri Narendra Singh Tomar and Shri Piyush Goyal will also be present on the occasion.
- The multi-commodity train service will carry vegetables such as cauliflower, capsicum, cabbage, drumsticks, chillies, onion, as well as fruits like grapes, oranges, pomegranate, banana, custard apple etc.
- Loading and unloading of perishable commodities will be permitted at all enroute stoppages with no bar on size of consignment.
- The Government of India has extended a subsidy of 50% on transportation of fruits and vegetables.
About Kisan Rail
- In the Union Budget 2020-21, the Minister of Finance had made an announcement ‘to build a seamless national cold supply chain for perishables, inclusive of milk, meat, and fish’.
- It was also stated that the Indian Railways will set up a Kisan Rail.
- The first Kisan Rail was introduced from Devlali to Danapur on 7th August, 2020, which was further extended upto Muzaffarpur.
- As a result of good response from the farmers, its frequency was also increased from weekly to three days in a week.
- Kisan Rail has been a game changer in ensuring fast transportation of agriculture produce across the nation.
- It provides a seamless supply chain of perishable produce.
- This train is a step towards realizing the goal of doubling farmers’ incomes by 2022.
- Indian Railways aims to help double farmers’ income with the launch of Kisan Rail.
- This train will help in bringing perishable agricultural products like vegetables, fruits to the market in a short period of time.
Source: PIB-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): MoR
Be the first to comment