14 Railway Stations of East Coast Railway have been added with new heights with these are awarded with ISO 14001:2015 Certification for Environmental Management System. This certificate has been given to the Stations to provide facilities to the passengers in a clean and Green Environment.
- All these Railway Stations have higher class VIP lounges, Waiting Rooms, AC & Non-AC Retiring Rooms & Dormitories, Refreshing areas, and hygiene food facilities for passengers along with better cleanliness activities.
- Apart from this, Waste Management including segregation and disposal of waste have also been included in the ISO Audit.
- In Khurda Road Division, the ISO Certificates have been issued to Bhubaneswar and Cuttack Station on 30th January, 2020 and Puri Station has received on 12th February, 2020.
- In Sambalpur Division, ISO Certificate issued to 4 Stations on 10th June, 2020; i.e., Sambalpur, Balangir, Titilagarh and Kesinga Stations.
- In Waltair Division, 7 Stations have been awarded with ISO 14001:2015 Certification.
- Visakhapatnam Station received in June, 2019 and Vizianagaram, Srikakulam, Jagadalpur, Araku, Simhachalam and Rayagada Stations awarded in August, 2019.
- Apart from this, production Units like Carriage Repair Workshop at Mancheswar, Electric Loco Shed at Angul and Visakhapatnam and Diesel Loco Shed at Visakhapatnam have also been awarded with ISO 14001:2015 Certification, earlier.
- Efforts are also being made to get ISO certification for more Stations under ECoR jurisdiction.
As per the direction of National Green Tribunal (NGT) to adopt strict measures for waste management, East Coast Railway awarded a contract for environmental management system to consultancy firm based in New Delhi for auditing the facilities at these Stations. This agency had also audited mechanical cleaning, anti treatment, quality cleaning, chemical etc., to provide a hygienic and clean environment at Station.
ISO is an International Standardisation Organisation, which is responsible for setting standards in activities in various fields. It can also be understood that this is a type of certificate given to companies. Its main objective is to promote trade, ownership, industrial and commercial standards worldwide. It’s headquarter is in Geneva, Switzerland.
Source: East Coast Railway-Press Release