ABB India announced that its sustainability initiatives have cumulatively led to an 81.6% reduction in Scope 1 and Scope 2 Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions versus its 2019 baseline.
- This has been primarily aided by the investment into renewable energy sources and the realisation of RE100 across its 5 manufacturing locations. In the process, all 5 ABB India owned manufacturing locations in the country have been certified as ‘Green Factory Buildings’ by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) after a rigorous evaluation of multiple parameters such as innovation in design, environmental categories, resource conservation and indoor environment quality.
- The company has also enhanced water recyclability by ~12% versus the 2019 baseline and aims to become water neutral/positive across all locations by 2025. Currently, the company recycles ~95% of the waste generated across all their facilities to realise the company-wide long-term sustainability targets of zero waste to landfill.
- Without disrupting its ongoing operations, ABB India implemented energy-efficient and innovative solutions in a phased manner across its decades-old locations pan-India making these locations more sustainable.
- The realisation of their RE100 global commitment to eliminate Scope 2 GHG emissions from its operations was achieved with the utilisation of renewable electricity. It included green power utilisation from in-house solar panels, green power purchase from third parties through power purchase agreements (PPA) and procurement of International Renewable Energy Certificates (IREC).
- Catalysing this green transformation, ABB deployed over 5000 of its own sustainable technology-led products at multiple sites. Other key ABB sustainable solutions deployed across its locations include AI-enabled building automation technology, energy-efficient lighting, HVAC solutions (highest-rated energy efficient motors and drives), and measurement analytics products.
- With its global 2030 sustainability strategy, ABB is actively enabling a low-carbon society as well as working with its customers and suppliers to implement sustainable practices across its value chain and the lifecycle of its products and solutions.
- Recently, the Company was also recognized as the ‘Pioneer in large scale adoption of green factory buildings’ by the IGBC. ABB’s Nelamangala campus has been certified ‘Water Positive’ by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI). The Company’s performance has also been rated as “Strong” in the ESG risk assessment by CRISIL for its multiple ESG initiatives.
Shri Sanjeev Sharma, Country Head and Managing Director, ABB India said, “We’ve been making concrete efforts towards achieving the 2030 sustainable goals. Double-digit reduction of our own GHG emissions, the realisation of RE100 and Green factory building certifications for all our manufacturing locations are significant milestones in our journey towards sustainability. They reassure us of the positive impact we can make towards creating a resource-efficient and low carbon future.”
- ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a technology leader in electrification and automation, enabling a more sustainable and resource-efficient future.
- The company’s solutions connect engineering know-how and software to optimise how things are manufactured, moved, powered and operated.
- Building on more than 130 years of excellence, ABB’s ~105,000 employees are committed to driving innovations that accelerate industrial transformation.
Source: ABB- Press Release | Image Credit (representational): ABB
Be the first to comment