Alstom completes handover of the first trainset for the Kanpur metro, to Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation (UPMRC). The unveiling was done at Alstom’s rolling stock manufacturing facility in Savli, Gujarat by the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Shri Yogi Adityanath in the presence of Shri Kumar Keshav – MD, UPMRC, and Alain Spohr – Managing Director, Alstom India.
- These metro trains are 100% indigenously manufactured at the facility in Savli, Gujarat.
- Alstom completed the acquisition of Bombardier Transportation (BT) on 29 January 2021 and going forward, Alstom will be responsible for the delivery of Kanpur & Agra metro rolling stocks and signalling, including scope of all BT technologies.
- Valued at approximately INR 2051 crore (245 Mn EUR), Alstom’s scope on the Agra-Kanpur metro project includes – design, build and delivery of 201 metro cars (67 units of MOVIA metro three-car trainsets) and advanced signalling solution (CITYFLO 650).
- The customer also has a provision to exercise an option for an additional 51 metro cars.
- The new metro trains will benefit around 5 million citizens in Kanpur.
- Additionally, the overall project will significantly contribute towards the socio-economic development of the region.
“We are proud to deliver the first metro trains, for Kanpur Metro in record time. After successfully delivering Rolling Stock & Signalling solutions for the state’s capital Lucknow, we are happy to strengthen this partnership with UPMRC and redefine the mobility needs of Kanpur & Agra” said Alain Spohr, Managing Director, Alstom India. “Our MOVIA metros are world renowned for their operational reliability, appealing design and enhanced safety features – everything that makes metro an attractive mode of transport,” he added.
“As I virtually unveil the first metro train for Kanpur, I would like to congratulate Alstom and UPMRC for the fast paced execution of the ongoing metro project”, said the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Shri Yogi Adityanath. “In addition to Kanpur & Agra, we are looking forward to bringing advanced metro service for enhanced public transportation in cities like Gorakhpur, Varanasi, Prayagraj, Jhansi and Meerut, and improving connectivity in the near future”, he added.
Speaking at the unveiling ceremony, Kumar KESHAV, Managing Director, Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation (UPMRC) said, “It is a proud moment for Alstom, which is indigenously manufacturing the rolling stock for some of the most prestigious metro projects in the country. With an illustrious track record of successfully delivering the trains for Lucknow metro in record time, we are happy to have Alstom as our partner in this journey towards transforming the face of urban mobility in Uttar Pradesh. These world-class trainsets for Kanpur & Agra will breathe life into the metroproject. We www.alstom.com are looking forward to the speedy execution of this project and catering to the transport infrastructure needs in growing cities.”
- Inspiration from Uttar Pradesh’s rich cultural heritage combined with best-in-class design has resulted in an attractive look for India’s latest metro fleet.
- Aerodynamic modular design of the new MOVIA metros will offer a host of safety, security and environmental benefits along with great passenger experience.
- Built with light but strong stainless-steel car bodies, the air-conditioned cars will have automated sliding doors, comfortable seating & standing spaces, dedicated areas for entry of specially abled, who use wheelchairs and modern passenger information systems, combining to provide an accessible and welcoming environment for passengers.
- The trains will be equipped with FLEXX metro bogies and the MITRAC propulsion system to increase energy efficiency, reduce operating costs, and ensure the new trains meet the highest environmental standards.
- Each train will accommodate approximately 960 passengers in the three-car configuration.
- Leading societies to a low carbon future, Alstom develops and markets mobility solutions that provide the sustainable foundations for the future of transportation.
- Alstom’s products portfolio ranges from high-speed trains, metros, monorail and trams to integrated systems, customised services, infrastructure, signalling and digital mobility solutions.
- Alstom has 150,000 vehicles in commercial service worldwide.
- With Bombardier Transportation joining Alstom on January 29, 2021, the enlarged Group’s combined proforma revenue amounts to €14 billion for the 12-month period ended March 31, 2021.
- Headquartered in France, Alstom is now present in 70 countries and employs more than 70,000 people.
About Alstom in India:
- Alstom is the only multinational sustainable mobility provider in India, to have a comprehensive portfolio of offerings to meet customer specific needs, from cost-efficient mass-market platforms to high-end technological innovations.
- Synonymous with the country’s ‘Rail Revolution’, Alstom continues to be a strategic partner in supporting India’s freight revolution and passenger movement.
- With 6 industrial sites and 2 major engineering centers, the company not only caters to domestic project needs, but also delivers for many international projects.
- Supporting the government’s modernization initiatives, Alstom has been at the forefront of introducing several breakthrough technologies in India with world class rolling stock, rail equipment & infrastructure, signalling and services.
- Fully aligned with the country’s vision of Make-in-India and Atmanirbhar Bharat, Alstom remains deeply committed to strengthening its local sourcing and supply chain ecosystem.
- Alstom™ Movia™, FLEXX™, MITRAC™, CITYFLO™ are protected trademarks of the Alstom Group
Source: Alstom-Press Release | Image Credit: Alstom