Recently , The 9000 HP WAG-9 electric locomotive ( built by Chittaranjan Locomotive Works (CLW) ) successfully passed the oscillation and EBD trial by RDSO . They have been issued the final speed certificate for operation of WAG-9HH class of locomotives upto maximum speed of 100kmph on Indian Railways track. Now , After these successful trials , It will require the statutory CRS sanction and It will be put in service.
Story of its development :
The WAG-9HH High Power Locomotive was manufactured on 21st Dec , 2019 and trials were conducted between 31st Jan to 26th Feb 2020 on Northern Railways network at a speed of 100 kmph.
The WAG-9 series are quite similar to the WAP-7 class locomotive but features a different gear ratio, which makes it suitable for heavy freight operations. They are the second heaviest in regular service in India ( It was the most powerful freight locomotive of its fleet until the formal induction of the WAG-12 ) . They are also the freight-dedicated three-phase AC locomotives in the country fitted with IGBT.
“The decision to upgrade the power output of the WAG-9 was taken to partly meet the demands of the upcoming electrified Western Dedicated Freight Corridor (WDFC).”
“Make in India” Initiative :
Under ‘Make in India’ initiative, CLW successfully produced IR’s first 9000 HP locomotive and turned it out last year on 31st March 2019. The upgraded locomotive class will also augment hauling capacity on the existing network of the Indian Railways . Further , Indian Railways is upgrading its electric locomotives from 6000HP to 9000HP as part of its rail electrification initiative.
One of the major suppliers Siemens also supplied the first indigenously-designed and produced integrated propulsion system and steel tank transformer. This propulsion system is uniquely designed to suit requirements of the 9000HP locomotive.
Impact on the Freight movement :
The new locomotive has better acceleration reserve at higher speed and increased throughput . Further , It is expected to haul 58 BOXN wagons & will boost the haulage capacity of Indian Railways by around 50%, thereby improving average speed and utilization of rolling stock assets. The advanced technology aims to save traction energy cost, thereby reducing fuel expenses and carbon emissions. Besides , manufacturing more High Powered Locomotives , CLW has also manufactured a record no. of locomotives of all requirements in the last few years .
“CLW has also increased its production of 431 locomotives in the recent FY , which is 2.16 times the installed capacity of 200 locomotives per year.”
Its Significance :
- The locomotive will facilitate in improving throughput by delivering better acceleration reserve at higher balancing speed.
- These locomotives will boost the haulage capacity of Indian Railways by around 50%, thereby improving average speed and utilization of rolling stock assets.
- The advanced technology aims to save traction energy cost, thereby reducing fuel expenses and carbon emissions.
- It is an upgraded version of the already existing WAG-9 which has a power of 6000 horsepower.
- Equipped with modern and advance features, this new addition will make freight transportation & journey more convenient.
- CLW is developing similar 9000 horsepower locomotives for passenger trains for improved acceleration and better performance.
- Indian Railways has also joined the the elite club of a manufacturer capable of producing 9000 HP locomotives.
All Image Source : CLW – Twitter