BEML Limited has received a variation order to contract ‘MRS1’ from DMRC, for additional 12 trainsets of 06 cars each (total 72 cars) to operate on line 2B and 7 of Mumbai metro project. The order is valued at Rs. 501 crores (approx) on an equivalent INR basis.
With this, the total contract value has increased to Rs. 4318 crores (approx) from the existing Rs. 3817 crores (approx), all amounts mentioned in equivalent INR, for supplies before August 2023.
- In November 2018, BEML, a public sector undertaking of the Government, had bagged the contract for Rs.3,015 crore for manufacturing of 378 Metro cars (63 Metro trains of 6 cars each) for Mumbai Metro Corridor 2A, 2B & 7. BEML was the lowest among seven bidders which included 6 internationally renowned bidders.
- Seven International manufacturers of rolling stock viz. Alstom, Bombardier, CAF, CRRC, Titagarh, BEML, Hyundai Rotem, participated in the bid.
- Last year in August, the BEML had bagged another order for Metro Coaches for metro line 2 & 7 for additional 21 trainsets (126 Nos metro cars) valued at Rs 834 crore approx.
The coaches will be manufactured in the BEML factory at Bengaluru. Some of the salient features are:
- Coaches per Train: 6
- Fully Air Conditioned
- Driverless train compatibility
- Energy friendly with regenerative braking system. Train to operate on 25 KV AC traction.
- Equipped with CCTV surveillance for passenger security and real-time track monitoring.
- Carrying capacity of 300 passengers in each coach.
- Stainless steel body with 4 doors on each side.
Tentative Delivery Schedule:
- 378 Cars of Completely Build Metro Cars: subject to change:
- 1st Train Set (6 Cars) – Nov 2020
- 2nd Train Set (6 Cars) – January 2021
- 3rd Train Set (6 Cars) – May 2021
- 12 Train Sets (72 Cars) – 2 TS/month in alternate months from July 2021 to May 2022
- 36 Train Sets (216 Cars) – 3 TS/month continuously from June 2022 to May 2023
- 12 Train Sets (72 Cars) – 4 TS/month continuously from June 2023 to Aug 2023
- 126 Cars of Completely Build Metro Cars:
- 21 Train Sets (126 Cars) – 3 TS/month continuously from Nov 2023 to May 2024
Mumbai Metro line 2A will connect Dahisar to DN Nagar in Mumbai. Metro line 2B will run further from DN Nagar to Mankhurd via Bandra, and Metro line 7 from Dahisar to Andheri (east).
Source: BSE India | Image Credit: BEML